Sunday, February 21, 2010

Goth Time

What is a goth? I've always had this vision that a goth is someone who is into things like darkness and evil. But not the kind of evil where it's scary like killing people. More like "eeevil". Like ghosts and pentagrams and candles and... I don't know. Evil stuff that's really evil if you're a super Christian, but not that evil if you're straight up hangin' with the real world.

Ugh. Let me start over. I had a friend in college who was and still is (as far as I can tell from her facebook page) a goth. And while she looked like she was into satanic rituals what with her dark hair, pale skin, heavy make up, and platform boots, she actually was pretty ass-kicking cool. She wasn't a really close friend, but we did have a number of classes together and friends in common, so I was aware of the crowd she hung with. And the funny thing is, her close friends, her group, weren't really goth at all. She was the only one that I knew of. We had a lot of writing classes together because she was into creative writing, and she hung out with my at the time boyfriend's ex roommate a lot. She wrote great poetry and papers and the subjects were never about satanic rituals or darkness. They were about love and heartbreak and full of wordplay and nuances that played tricks on your thought process. If they were depressing, it was depressing in a fun way. Not a goth way.

I remember her telling me once that being a goth is a lifestyle, but it was just one piece of her. A very apparent piece, but as I got to know her, I realized she was totally right. The people she surrounded herself with were various and interesting. There was this day, Halloween maybe, where she speculated she was going to dress in khakis and a blue shirt, since that would be out of the norm for her. She had a great sense of humor, and a wonderful portfolio. She was outgoing and pleasant. And she had a favorite pair of cow spotted pajama pants.

I don't know why I wanted to write about my goth friend from college. Maybe because everytime I see that goth girl from NCIS I think of her.







Anyway, don't judge a book by its cover people.

No comments:

Post a Comment