Thursday, March 8, 2012

Where's That Corner I Need to Turn?

Blog, you need some sprucing up. I've been way too down way too much lately. It's time to bring the life back to you. While you are a very theraputic tool in getting this temporary depression out of my mind and onto the world's screen, I cannot dwell for too long.

With that, this song willl be playing for the duration of this entry, in part because of my continued penchant for close harmonies:


If I were smart, I would have embedded this video because it's awesome to watch, but alas, Vimeo escapes me at this point in my life.

Anyway, now that we've got that underway Blog, we can go anywhere. Or at least I can. You're unfortunately stuck on the internet for the rest of time... until I bite the bullet and print you out into a poorly-written and sporatic manuscript to avoid losing you in the impending internet apocolypse.

Two things I'm contemplating on doing with my life:

1. MA, MFA, OMGICBITAGBTS...
That last acronym stands for OMG I can't believe I'm thinking about going back to school. I've been jaded towards the idea of education for so long mainly because of its incredible cost and my day to day interactions with people who seem to have been fooled into pursuing a dream by the means of a faulty program that is encased in red tape. I have to remind myself that they are of a certain population of people who think they know what they want and then react with the easy way out by rashly giving a corporation thousands of dollars for nothing in return because they know not how to invest in themselves (i.e. The "you've got my money, now why would I have to work for this degree?" mentality).

I do not have that mentality. School scares the shit out of me, so if I went for it I'd probably do alright since fear is the driving factor of most of my successes. If I'm not scared, I'm bored and if I'm bored, I go slightly insane and start contemplating giant life decisions like going back to school or...

2. Getting a working holiday visa for Australia so I could live there for a year.
Here I go again running away from my problems (or perhaps despair) by spontaneously pursuing my longing to live not in the Midwest. I've always had this desire and now that I'm suddenly in the latter part of my twenties my reaction to it has grown to be quite a dramatic one. What used to be Chicago, is now Sydney. I happened upon this particular visa the other day during an internet search regarding traveling to Australia that I had started purely for entertainment purposes. It has since developed into a life option. The visa is only available to those between the ages of 18 and 30 which makes me feel like I'm running out of time which makes me scared which, as I mentioned above, drives my success. It's a ridiculous idea at this point, but is also one that could get me somewhere interesting (literally).

Two things. That's all I have. Two giant things. I don't know if either of them will ever come to fruition, but it's nice to have something to think about besides how sad I am all the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment