Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ode to My Niece

Blog, I don't know if I'm ever going to get a chance to have kids, but if I do, I can't imagine the unconditional love that goes along with it. I have this niece who I love more than any other baby in the whole wide world and I've only hung out with her a handful of times. I can't imagine what that would be like if it was my own kid who I'd have to hang out with every day.

Aunt Sam, are you getting emotional again? Great.
Maybe if I had my own kid, you'd turn into one of those mommy blogs, Blog. Remember when you kind of were that way when I first started writing in you? Granted it was all about Santiago, who I also loved unconditionally. Even though Santiago and my niece both weigh a little more than 20 pounds, have timed eating schedules, and take naps, my love for my niece outweighs that of what I felt for Santi. Probably because she's a person. She's also related to me.

Yes you are. Don't pretend you're not.
Oh niece. Remember when you were a weird looking infant? We weren't sure if you were ever going to get cute. I thought you were always going to resemble your drunk Aunt Sam with your unfocused eyes and gaping mouth.

At least you had someone kissing your head.
But you've turned into this little person who isn't afraid of a man dressed like the Easter Bunny in the mall. You dance at the drop of a hat and are a total hipster with your propensity to sit in a corner and listen to music while reading a book; not to mention all the screen print onesies you sport. You put yourself to sleep by rustling your fingers through your hair and then let your arms sleepily fall from your head only to jerk them back up again and hit your beloved Aunt Sam in the face. Thanks for that.

You're lucky I didn't leave you in there overnight.
I love you sweet little niece. I can't wait to see what kind of a tiny, (or massive since you are half your mother's height already) person you continue to become.

Hopefully you figure out that's not edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment