Sunday, April 28, 2013

Anyone Want To Be My Lesbian Friend?

Blog, I've been watching a lot of The L Word on this tour. How is it that TV series make you want to live within them? I got obsessed with Frasier a while ago because I'm really into snobby intellectual humor (and David Hyde Pierce is the best thing to grace a TV screen ever in this world ever) and all I wanted to do with my life during that time was sit and drink sherry and get ready to go to the opera. These are things that I don't really take interest in, Blog, but Frasier made me want to go there.

Back before Downton Abbey broke my heart into ten million pieces, all I wanted to do was live in the 1920s and wear either dresses with elaborate beading or an apron (it didn't matter) and speak with a cool English accent while trying to figure out what the fuck a telephone was. But when we're realistic about living in England in the 1910's and beyond, it means we're wearing uncomfortable wool stockings and using outhouses. Plus there's no internet to which I can turn on a lonely Saturday night after finishing three glasses of wine. Then again, there'd be no TV series for me to bitch and moan about on said internet because it would be 1920 and all there would be to do is to drink more wine and probably darn a sock or something.

So last week when I found that The L Word is now on Netflix, I couldn't help myself. I was introduced to the series a few years ago when I was visiting Ariel in the Pacific Northwest. We holed up in her quaint studio cabin in the woods and watched the first season on DVD. But that's all she had. I promptly forgot about the oddly high population of extremely attractive lesbians LA seems to have and went on with my life. That is until last week when I noticed that all six seasons are available on Netflix. Things have gotten out of control since then.

I'm not a lesbian, Blog. I like men. Lots. I've known this for quite some time. And while The L Word has not challenged me on my sexuality, it has caused me to want a super sweet group of lesbian friends with whom I can catch up on all the latest lesbian gossip. I want to meet up with the ladies at our usual coffee shop haunt and figure out who has been sleeping with who. I want to become annoyed with how they interact with each other and say "oh, you're being such a lesbian". I want to go to the lesbian clubs with them and survey all the hookups that take place so I can be even more in on the lesbian gossip that happens at the coffee shop the next day. I WANT TO MEET THEIR CATS.

TV series make you want to do things you never thought you'd want to do. Right now I'm really wanting to hang out with gay women and live in LA. Thanks Showtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment